Date: January 17, 2018
On Tuesday, January 16th, 2018 at approximately 7:20 p.m., two MCAD students were robbed at gunpoint on the corner of 25th St. and 1st Ave. The suspects took a wallet and a backpack, but dropped the backpack moments after fleeing the scene in an unknown direction and were described as wearing puffy jackets and red and white beanies. Minneapolis Police responded, took a report and during the report a notification was issued to one of the victim's phones that their credit card had been used at a nearby gas station. Minneapolis Police monitored radio traffic of a vehicle pursuit which turned into a foot pursuit and the two subjects who matched the description given of the robbery suspects were taken in to custody.
Face-to-Face Confrontations: (from MPD website)
When faced with danger, trust yourself. Your single most effective weapon is your own judgment. Rely on it to choose what you think is the best response at the time, whether it is to run, stall, negotiate, verbally assert yourself, scream to attract attention from others, physically resist or comply with demands
There is no right or wrong way to react. Every situation is different. The best response depends on a combination of factors such as the location, the assailant, presence of weapons, your personal responses, etc.
Robbery Prevention Tips: What you can do:
- If a robber approaches you, always do as they say. You can replace your money, but not your life! EXCEPTION: NEVER get in a vehicle with them.
- Call 911 immediately if you are the victim of a crime. Always report any suspicious behavior to MCAD Public Safety.
- Try NOT to carry a purse or wallet. Put only what money you need along with your ID in your front pocket.
- As often as possible, use the buddy system. Go shopping, run errands and go places with another person, especially if you are walking or taking the bus.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Walk only in well-lit, well-populated areas.
Call MCAD Public Safety for an escort, 874-3801.
Minneapolis Police Emergency 911
MCAD Emergency 874-3555
MCAD Non-emergency 874-3700