Check back often! More important information will be added as it becomes available...
The 3D shop will close for the semester on Tuesday, May 9th at 9:00 p.m.
Please make sure you return all tools and remove all projects and materials from all shop spaces.
Anything left will be thrown away. Please see Don Myhre if you have any questions.
Academic Services will be open regular hours, weekdays Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. during the summer.
Undergraduate Studio Cleanout:
Studio cleanout deadline for all undergraduate students will be NO LATER THAN Wednesday morning, May 10th at 8:00 a.m. Extra dumpsters, recycling and compost bins will be available in studio areas for you to use during this time. Please start to take advantage of these ASAP. All students will need to vacate studios, lockers, and common areas, and turn in any studio or locker keys. Failure to do so may result in a fine. Anything abandoned after this time will be recycled by Academic Services staff to prepare for Commencement activities, summer classes and renovation projects, no exceptions! If you have ANY questions or concerns about this, please contact Academic Services ASAP.
If you would like to apply for a studio space for next Academic Year (beginning Fall 2017), or plan on taking summer classes and are eligible for a Summer studio space, fill out the appropriate application form(s) on Academic Services Intranet page. ALL Summer and Fall studio applications are DUE NO LATER THAN Tuesday, May 9th (the last day of classes)! Please remember that studio space on campus is limited, and that applying for a studio space does not guarantee that you will receive one. Academic Services will contact you directly about whether you have received a studio space assignment or not at the beginning of each semester.
MFA Studio Cleanout:
- All graduating 2nd year MFA students have until Wednesday, May 31st to vacate their studio space on campus. MFA students are given three additional weeks after Graduation than undergraduate students. Please plan accordingly, let us know ASAP if you have any questions or concerns, and remember that your ID card access will expire after that time as well.
- All returning 1st year MFA students are authorized to keep your studio space over the summer, and will retain ID card access. However, if you are planning on traveling or being away from your studio at all this summer, please tidy up your studio area and make certain that all of your belongings are within the boundaries of your studio space, NOT in hallways or galleries before you leave, so that nothing of yours is accidentally moved or recycled by Academic Services, Facilities, or Mia Staff. Please secure any valuables and close your blinds!
- There will be extra garbage / recycling bins available for you to use at MFA Studios during May. In addition, a dumpster from Atomic Recycling will be arriving at the Studios entrance on May 26th. Whether you are graduating, leaving or staying in town, please take advantage of this, and recycle anything at this time. PLEASE NOTE: If you leave behind any large upholstered furniture or materials behind for us to dispose of YOU WILL BE FINED for its disposal! Thank you for your understanding.
Here are the End of Semester & Summer Hours for the Art Cellar. Please note that this will include our annual "Closing for Inventory" period. Have a great end-of-semester everyone!
Mon–Tues: 10:00 a.m.–7:00 p.m.
May 9th is the Last Day of classes and the Last Day to use student and teacher accounts.
Mon-Fri: 10:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
CLOSED: Saturdays and Sundays
May 18-31 CLOSED for INVENTORY
Summer Hours resume June 1
The Cafeteria will open normal hours May 8th and 9th and will be closed for the Summer :)
As we reach the end of the semester The Occupational Health and Safety and Facilities Custodial Department would like to remind you where and how to dispose of hazardous waste, electronics and items that can not be placed on the free self.
Collection container for hazardous waste such as paints, solvents and other chemicals are located in the following areas listed below:
- Studio 142 under the sink.
- Studio 300 under the sink.
- Studio 350 under the sink.
- Main building room 135 under the sink.
- Main building room 122 under sink.
- MFA 3D shop or Lower paint clean room.
Additional containers may be placed in the trash containment areas next to Apt Building 144 and 2540 dorm buildings during the semester clean out.
If any of the chemicals or paints you are disposing of are not label, please use the labels provided on the top of each of the container in the areas listed above so the chemical, paints or other waste it can be identified.
MCAD does not except electronics and clothing at the free self. Electronics may not be placed in the trash. Please use the City of Minneapolis link provided to help you with disposal of electronics.
Summer hours start May 10th
10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
The Learning Center is closed July 17 - 21st
Services available during the summer include:
Writing Tutoring - Online, walk-in and in-person appointments
Software support - Online and in-person appointments
Disability Services - Online, walk-in and in-person appointments for referrals, accommodation requests and questions
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a writing, software or Disability Services appointment
Summer hours start May 10:
Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
Summer Session hours start June 5:
Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.
Returning graduate students will be able to checkout and renew books into the summer starting May 1.
Undergrads and graduating students must return all library material on or before May 9. There will be no checkout for undergrads May 11 - May 16. Regular checkout will resume May 17th for all students registered for Summer or Fall classes.
Best wishes as you wrap up the semester!
Media Center Summer 2017 Access Policy
The Media Center window is CLOSED from May 10th to June 5th.
To accommodate a complete departmental inventory, there will be NO equipment checkouts or studio access during this period, without exception. This applies to all patrons - students, faculty, and staff. Please plan accordingly!
Circulations will commence on Monday, June 5th.
The window reopens for circulations during the summer session: June 5th to August 11th. Window hours will be 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., weekdays only.
The Media Center is closed again between summer and fall semesters - from 5pm August 11th to 8:30 a.m. on August 28th (the first day of fall semester.)
"Do I have access over summer?" Read on:
If you are pre-enrolled for Fall 2017 classes:
"General Access" items may be checked out for normal circulation periods while the Media Center is open for summer semester.
"Restricted" item access will be based on student's past enrollment status for the previous spring 2017 semester. Those restricted items available the previous spring will continue to be available over the summer semester.
Studios and Production Areas:
- Black Studio: Due to summer construction, the 345 Black Studio will be completely closed and unavailable beginning the last day of spring semester and reopening the first day of fall semester.
- Grey Studio: May be reserved and used throughout summer session. However, priority for these studios is given to summer classes.
- Sound Studio and Analog Photo Darkrooms: Will be available for use for those with appropriate access privileges but requires you submit a one-time Personal Proposal to request summer session access.
Internships (including summer internships) are NOT eligible for Media Center equipment/facility access (per Career Services and Media Technology Services internship policies.)
The last day the Printshop/Paper Studios are open is Tuesday, May 9. The Printshop will close that night at 9:00 p.m. Please clean out lockers, and remove any screens, prints, paper from flat files, etc. or the will be recycled.
The Printshop/Paper Studios will be closed from Weds. May 10-Sunday, June 4, and there will be no student/faculty/staff access. We will reopen for summer classes on Monday, June 5.
As we end another year Public Safety would like to make the following requests/reminders:
Senior Shows: There are a lot of wonderful displays that have been put up as the end of the semester nears. Many displays contain items that are secured in some way or another. If you have not secured your items yet, please see Academic Services for ideas how to secure your art work.
Lost & Found:
Missing a particular item? Looked everywhere?
Stop by the Public Safety Info Desk and check if the item has been turned in.
- Please do not leave bicycles locked to the bike racks over the summer if your not going to be here.
- Take bikes with you or store them off campus.
- This will help with congestion in the bike racks over the summer, and into the next school year.
- Public Safety will be removing bicycles that appear to be abandoned and removal notice goes unanswered.
- Bicycles locked to structures other than official bike racks, will be removed and confiscated.
- Watch where you park!
- If you park on the street be aware of:
- No Parking time zones
- Fire lanes.
- If possible have someone assist you so that your property is always being watched.
- Always lock your vehicle when going back-and-forth from your apartment.
- It takes only seconds for somebody walking by to nab some of your property in an open vehicle.
- From Wednesday May 10th - Monday May 15th there will be designated loading areas to assist in moving your belongings off campus:
- 2540 lot
- Spaces along the SE side of lot C (south of Main)
- 4 spaces behind 2537 (plus lot C)
If your celebrating the end of the year with friends on-off campus...
- Use buddy system
- Walk in groups
- Tell roommates where your going and when your plan to return!
- Don't accept opened containers from people you don't know!
- Be responsible!
Good luck on Finals and have a Great Summer!
Service Bureau and Digital Print Lab
Regular hours end Tuesday, May 9th at Midnight
We are then open 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday until summer hours start on June 5th.
June 5 - August 11: Monday - Thursday 8:30 a.m.-9:30 p.m., Fridays 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Then back to M-F, 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. until Fall semester starts August 28th.
The Digital Print Lab in 317 will continue to be 'open' during summer for students who already have access.
Important for May grads: your MCAD Login will expire the first week of June along with your PaperCut account. We cannot disperse funds from PaperCut accounts so you should be mindful of your balance and only add money if necessary.
The main computer labs (330 and 331) will close for the semester at 5:00 p.m. on Friday, May 12, 2017.
Please be sure to remove all personal and class files from the lab and library workstations before they close.
The computer labs will reopen for the duration of summer session on Monday, June 5th, 2017 and will remain open until the close of summer session on Sunday, August 13th. The labs will be closed between Monday, August 14th and Sunday, August 27th.
The labs will reopen for the fall semester on Monday, August 28th, 2017.
Help Desk and Technology Support (Room 319)
Regular spring semester hours will end at 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday, May 9th, 2017.
The Help Desk will be open between 8:30 a.m. -5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday between the following dates -- 5/10/17 to 8/25/17.
The Help Desk will resume its regular hours for the fall semester on Monday, August 28th -- 8:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Fridays.
MCAD Login, Email, and Equipment (Faculty):
Be sure to remove all personal and class files from shared faculty workstations.
Adjunct faculty using school-owned loaner laptops will need to return them to the Help Desk (319) by noon on Wednesday, May 17th, 2017.
Current adjunct faculty that are teaching in the degree program during the summer session will continue to have uninterrupted access to their MCAD login.
Current adjunct faculty that are scheduled to teach in the fall semester and sign their new contract on or before Friday, June 2nd, 2017 will have their MCAD login access extended through the summer session.
Current adjunct faculty that are not scheduled to teach in the fall will have their MCAD login disabled on Friday, June 2nd, 2017.
All adjunct mcad.edu Gmail accounts will remain active for one year after their most recent contract end date.
MCAD Login and Email (Students):
MCAD Login (servers and labs) for returning students will remain active over the summer.
MCAD Login (servers and labs) for Spring 2017 grads will be disabled Monday, May 15th, 2017.
MCAD Gmail accounts for Spring 2017 grads will remain active until Monday, May 15th, 2018.
MCAD PaperCut Account:
MCAD PaperCut accounts for Spring 2017 grads will be disabled Monday, May 15th, 2017.
Remaining PaperCut balances cannot be dispersed and will expire when accounts are deactivated.
Student Storage Directories / Student Web Sites:
studio.mcad.edu network storage and student websites for Spring 2017 grads will be removed Monday, May 15th, 2017.
class.mcad.edu spring semester folders will be reset at noon on Friday, June 2nd, 2017. Please make sure to backup any important spring class work before that time.
class.mcad.edu summer session folder access will be available starting at noon on Friday, June 2nd, 2017.