Wednesday, February 10th, at approximately 1730 hours Public Safety was notified of a carjacking at gunpoint that had occurred on the block of 25xx Stevens Avenue.
Suspects were described as male: approximately 5'8" and 6', wearing black jackets, gloves and ski masks and armed with a handgun and a rifle with what appeared to be an orange tip. One suspect took the victim's keys and entered the driver's side of the vehicle, the second suspect threatened the victim and ordered them to back away. Suspects drove away in the victim's vehicle last seen travelling north on Stevens Avenue.
Vehicle stolen is a 2011 Tan Chevy Equinox.
Face-to-Face Confrontations: (from MPD website)
When faced with danger, trust yourself. Your single most effective weapon is your own judgment. Rely on it to choose what you think is the best response at the time, whether it is to run, stall, negotiate, verbally assert yourself, scream to attract attention from others, physically resist or comply with demands.
There is no right or wrong way to react. Every situation is different. The best response depends on a combination of factors such as the location, the assailant, presence of weapons, your personal responses, etc.
Robbery Prevention Tips: What you can do:
- If a robber approaches you, always do as they say. You can replace your money, but not your life! EXCEPTION: NEVER get in a vehicle with them.
- Call 911 immediately if you are the victim of a crime. Always report any suspicious behavior to MCAD Public Safety.
- Try NOT to carry a purse or wallet. Put only what money you need along with your ID in your front pocket.
- As often as possible, use the buddy system. Go shopping, run errands and go places with another person, especially if you are walking or taking the bus.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Walk only in well-lit, well-populated areas.
- Call MCAD Public Safety for an escort, 874-3801.
Minneapolis Police Emergency 911
MCAD Emergency 874-3555
MCAD Non-emergency 874-3700