Thursday, November 11th, MCAD Campus Safety was informed of an armed carjacking that occurred off campus to a local neighborhood resident who is unaffiliated with MCAD on Saturday 11/06/2021 At 10:00 PM. The carjacking at gunpoint occurred on 25TH ST and Stevens AVE.
Suspects were described as 2 unknown persons wearing Covid masks. Suspects approached the victim as he was exiting his vehicle and demanded the keys at gunpoint. Three additional suspects then entered the car and all five suspects drove away in the victim’s vehicle.
Vehicle stolen is a Grey Volkswagen sedan.
Face-to-Face Confrontations: (from MPD website)
When faced with danger, trust yourself. Your single most effective weapon is your own judgment. Rely on it to choose what you think is the best response at the time, whether it is to run, stall, negotiate, verbally assert yourself, scream to attract attention from others, physically resist or comply with demands
There is no right or wrong way to react. Every situation is different. The best response depends on a combination of factors such as the location, the assailant, presence of weapons, your personal responses, etc.
Robbery Prevention Tips: What you can do:
- If a robber approaches you, always do as they say. You can replace your money, but not your life! EXCEPTION: NEVER get in a vehicle with them.
- Call 911 immediately if you are the victim of a crime. Always report any suspicious behavior to MCAD Campus Safety.
- Try NOT to carry a purse or wallet. Put only what money you need along with your ID in your front pocket.
- As often as possible, use the buddy system. Go shopping, run errands and go places with another person, especially if you are walking or taking the bus.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Walk only in well-lit, well-populated areas.
*Call MCAD Campus Safety for an escort, 612-874-3801.
Minneapolis Police Emergency 911
MCAD Emergency 874-3555
MCAD Non-emergency 874-3700