This is a friendly reminder that Spring 2019 class server access is now available. See the details below for instructions on how to connect to and best utilize this server within your classes. If you have any questions, please drop by room 319 in the main building for assistance. Have a great semester.
-MCAD Help Desk
Your courses may utilize a class server space to distribute handouts, turn in assignments, and even serve communal websites. Your instructor will notify you if your class uses one. You can log in to any class server you have access to with your standard MCAD Login credentials.
To access your Class Server folder on MacOS at MCAD:
- From Finder, pull down Go > Connect to Server. The Connect to Server window will appear, and enter the following settings:
- In the Server Address field, enter 'class.mcad.edu'
- Click "Connect" in the lower right corner of the window.
- Sign in with your MCAD Login credentials - make sure you use your short username / password combo (e.g. rmoranis /
- A volume will now appear mounted on your computer named Class Server Share.
- Browse the folder hierarchy to find your class. Class folders are named by course code and class name. You will see all classes listed, but you will only have access to the classes in which you are enrolled.
To access your Class Server folder off campus on MacOS:
If you are on MacOS then you can use the same method listed above to access academic servers from off-campus.
Inside your Class server, you'll see several folders:
- Class Resources, where the instructor can place files for students to access. Students have read-only access to any files in this folder (cannot remove, alter, or delete files inside).
- Drop Box, where students can drop off files to hand in. Students can only write data here, but not see what's inside. The instructor can see the contents and clean/move/delete as needed.
- Playground, where anything goes. The instructor or any student in the class can create/add/delete files in this folder.
- Private, only the faculty member teaching this class will have access to the folder contents.
- public_html, where files placed within are available online in a web browser from https://class.mcad.edu/~
For example, if I am taking Intro to Film (course number "film200001") and I place a file named "myfilm.mov" in my Class server public_html folder, I could access it and share it by visiting https://class.mcad.edu/~film200001/myfilm.mov