Google is changing its chat client from "Hangouts Chat" To simply "Chat". Chat has a different UI, and among the new features are team rooms that support better team collaboration.
Beginning September 28th, all teams will be using Chat for 1:1 direct messages (DMs), group messages, and team discussions. Classic Hangouts apps will be turned off.
How do I get Google Chat?
It's important to do the following before September 28th as classic Hangout apps will stop working:
- Explore the new Web experience at chat.google.com
- Download the new mobile app for Android or iOS
- Download the new standalone desktop app if you've been using the classic Hangouts Chrome extension or app. You'll be able to access the desktop app from a prompt that will appear inside chat.google.com
- On September 28th, refresh your Gmail to get the new Chat in Gmail experience.
Where do I find my old chats?
- You will be able to continue recent 1:1 direct messages from classic Hangouts in Google Chat, but group messages from classic Hangouts (including their history) will not be migrated to Google Chat.
- All previous chat history from classic Hangouts will be accessible in Gmail.
- The classic Hangouts web interface for chat, hangouts.google.com will remain available during this transition in case you need more time to access and move certain group conversations. Users cannot chat in classic Hangouts by visiting hangouts.google.com in a mobile browser.
- The classic Hangouts bot in Chat will also notify you of missed group messages from classic Hangouts.
What are the limitations of Chat?
- Google Voice and Google Fi are not currently available through Chat:Users who already have a Google Voice account can access Google Voice at voice.google.com, by selecting Voice from the App launcher [image: ""], or by downloading the Google Voice app (Android, iOS).
- Google Fi users must use the default SMS app on their mobile device to send and receive SMS messages.
- Group messages from classic Hangouts (including their history) will not be migrated to Chat. Users can still access these group messages in hangouts.google.com.
- If you have important group messages in classic Hangouts, we recommend that you recreate them as Rooms in the new Chat.
- Group direct messages and rooms that are started in the new Chat will not send messages to users who are still on the classic Hangouts apps.
Where do I go for help?
- GSuite Learning Center for more information about the new Chat
- Our support desk is ready to answer your questions
- We've also created a Chat room to help with Q&A
Linux Systems Administrator