All MCAD COVID-19 updates will be posted below and at

All MCAD COVID-19 updates will be posted below and at

You are here

All MCAD COVID-19 updates will be posted below and at

All MCAD COVID-19 updates will be posted below and at

MCAD Housing Handbook 2021-2022


Table of Contents

MCAD Housing Handbook


We're glad you've chosen to live on campus. This MCAD Housing Handbook contains information that you need to know and that can be helpful to you while you live in campus housing.

Our first interest in providing on-campus housing is to give you a living space that will have a positive impact on your education at MCAD, while also providing you with a "ready-made" community of other students who can encourage you, challenge you and generally make college life memorable for you. If there is anything we can do for you or if you have ideas or suggestions about life on campus, please let us know. We want to hear from you.

Nate Lutz, Director of Housing

Morrison 119, 612-874-3780

Resident Assistants

There is a Resident Assistant (RA) in each of the apartment buildings on campus. The RAs are there to answer your questions, help you get to know other residents, and assist you in resolving roommate, building or personal problems. Be sure to go to the RA with ideas, suggestions, general complaints, roommate conflicts or other difficulties. If you feel more comfortable going to an RA that does not live in your building, please do so. The RA position is not a full-time staff position, so your RA will not always be available. The RAs have cell phones which will help you to reach them. If your RA is not available when needed, contact another RA or the Housing Office. The RAs will organize social and informational meetings during the year to help residents get to know each other, the campus and the neighborhood. Your participation will be welcome and is encouraged.

Housing Information

This chapter describing on-campus housing is descriptive only. The terms of your individual Housing Contract supersedes any information contained in this Handbook which may be contrary to or different from your Contract.

MCAD provides housing for 253 students in seven apartment buildings. There are ten efficiency apartments, 66 one-bedroom apartments, 27 two-bedroom apartments, 10 small two-bedroom apartments, and one three-bedroom apartment, in addition to an apartment in each building for the Resident Assistant.

Eligibility for On-Campus Housing

For housing during the academic year, residents of College Housing must be enrolled as degree-seeking students at the College. If you should cease to be enrolled at MCAD, your contract will terminate within 48 hours of the date of withdrawal.

The following categories of students are not eligible for on-campus housing, except on a space available basis:

  • MFA students (except international MFA students)
  • Post-Baccalaureate students (except international P.B. students)
  • non-MCAD student spouses

Terms of Occupancy and Cancellation

Your MCAD Housing Contract is not a lease. By this license, you are granted a limited right to occupy the premises. Ownership and control of the apartment shall remain with the College. The relationship between the College and the student is that of a licensor and licensee, respectively, and it would be contrary to the parties' intent to construe the Housing Contract as creating or constituting a lease or as creating a landlord and tenant relationship.Your housing contract is for the entire academic year or the portion of the academic year remaining at the date of possession. The date of possession is defined as the day you are issued keys to your apartment. You are not permitted to sell or assign your contract to any person without first obtaining the written consent of the Housing Director, and the College has the right to make room assignments and reassign students as necessary.

If you terminate your Contract, any payments made, including your deposit, will be refunded according to the following schedule:

  1. Cancellation prior to the first day of Fall semester scheduled classes: Student may cancel this Contract prior to the first day of scheduled classes by giving written notice of cancellation to the College. If written notice of cancellation is received by the College prior to July 1, a full refund of the housing fee and deposit will be made to student. If the College receives written notice of cancellation after July 1 but prior to the first day of Fall semester scheduled classes, the deposit will not be refunded, but a refund of the housing fee will be made to the Student.
  2. Cancellation prior to the first day of Spring semester scheduled classes by new applicants not living in College Housing during Fall semester: Student may cancel this Contract prior to the first day of scheduled classes by giving written notice of cancellation to the College. If written notice of cancellation is received by the College prior to December 15, a full refund of the housing fee and deposit will be made to the Student. If written notice of cancellation is received by the College after December 15, but more than 10 days prior to the first day of Spring semester scheduled classes, a refund of the housing fee and half of the deposit will be made to the Student. If the College receives written notice of cancellation less than 10 days prior to the first day of scheduled classes, but prior to the first day, no refund of the deposit will be made, but a refund of the housing fee will be made to the Student.
  3. Cancellation for Spring semester by residents living in College Housing during Fall semester: Student may cancel this Contract for the Spring semester by giving written notice of cancellation to the College no later than October 31. If written notice of cancellation is received by the College by October 31, a full refund of the Spring semester housing fee will be refunded to Student; the deposit will be refunded as provided in Section 3 above. If written notice of cancellation is received by the College after October 31, the Student shall be responsible to pay the deposit and all of the contracted housing fee unless the Student or the Housing Office finds another student who does not currently live on campus to take over the Student's Contract. If a student is found, the housing fee will be prorated and the amount of the replacement student's Contract will be refunded to Student; the deposit will be refunded as provided in Section 3 above.
  4. Cancellation on or after the first day of scheduled classes: Student may cancel this Contract on or after the first day of scheduled classes but Student shall be responsible to pay the deposit and all of the contracted housing fee unless the Student or the Housing Office finds another student who does not currently live on campus to take over the Student's Contract. If a student is found, the housing fee will be prorated and the amount of the replacement student's Contract will be refunded to Student; the deposit will be refunded as provided in Section 3 above.
  5. Cancellation due to withdrawal from the College: If the Student withdraws from the College, the Contract will terminate within 48 hours of the date of withdrawal and there will be no refund of deposit. Any housing fee refund will follow the Return of Tuition Formula described in the MCAD Student Handbook.
  6. Cancellation due to immediate removal from College Housing or expulsion or dismissal from the College: If the Student is removed from College Housing due to violation of conduct policy, or is expelled or dismissed from the College, the Contract will terminate within 48 hours of the date of official notification of removal, expulsion, or dismissal. There will be no refund of deposit and the housing fee for the semester will be forfeited.

Assigned apartment spaces that are not occupied by the first day of classes will be reassigned unless the student has notified the Housing Office and paid the appropriate fees.

Housing Deposit

When you first apply for College Housing, you deposit with the College three hundred fifty dollars ($350) as a deposit securing performance of all the terms and conditions of your housing contract. The deposit is refunded if you do not receive an assigned space in College Housing.

Upon expiration of the term of your contract, the deposit is returned to you within forty-five (45) days of check-out provided that:

  1. You vacate and surrender possession of the premises in the condition required by the Housing Contract. You must follow established check-in and check-out procedures, as outlined in this handbook.
  2. You have made no application to return to College Housing at a future date.
  3. There are no outstanding debts which you owe the College.


MCAD provides the following in furnished apartments:

  • single bed for each resident (standard size twin mattress)
  • dresser for each resident
  • kitchen table and chairs
  • Drawing table for each resident (due to space limitations 2-bedroom/
    quads have three drawing tables and 1-bedroom/triples have two drawing
    * * * No drawing table chair is provided* * *
  • couch
  • floor lamp
  • shower curtain or door
  • window blinds
  • telephone
  • refrigerator and range

MCAD provides the following in unfurnished apartments:

  • shower curtain or door
  • window blinds
  • refrigerator and range
  • telephone

You are responsible for maintaining the apartment and furnishings in good condition. When you move in, you and the Resident Assistant will inventory the condition and furnishings of your apartment. Deductions from your deposit and possibly additional charges will be made if the apartment or any items are damaged, missing or not clean when you move out. You are welcome to bring some of your own furnishings, but the College's furnishings must remain in your apartment.

The unfurnished apartments are furnished only with a stove, refrigerator, shower curtain, telephone and window blinds - all other furnishings are provided by the residents. No space heaters or waterbeds are allowed in any on-campus housing apartments. No furniture found outside may be brought into any on-campus buildings. Electrical fixtures and equipment that are not UL-approved are prohibited from on-campus housing.

 The following items are NOT allowed:

  • Wireless routers and access points, including but not limited to:
    • Apple TimeCapsule
    • MiFi-style devices (re-sharing cellular phone data to WiFi)
  • 2.4 GHz cordless phones
  • Halogen lamps
  • Lamps with 5-light multi-colored plastic shades
  • Anything that produces an open flame (including incense and incense burners)
  • Space heaters
  • Window air conditioners
  • Weapons of any type (real or imitation)
  • Waterbeds
  • Pets
  • Thin extension cords (heavy-duty surge-protected power strips are okay)

Housing Policies

Alcohol Policy

Campus residents who are of legal age may have alcohol in their apartments and serve it to their legal age guests free of charge as long as this is done in moderation and all applicable laws and MCAD Housing policies are observed. It is illegal in the State of Minnesota for any person under the age of 21 to consume any alcoholic beverage.

  1. Residents 21 years and older may not serve, provide, or purchase alcohol for residents or guests who are under the age of 21.
  2. Residents 21 years or older may not consume alcohol in their apartment in the presence of anyone under the age of 21 (unless it is the assigned roommate). If a room is shared by those over and under 21 years old, it must be clear that alcohol is being consumed only by those 21 years or older.
  3. In no case may alcoholic beverages be served to individuals who appear to be intoxicated; this includes those 21 years and older.
  4. No alcohol may be present in a situation which is by definition a party (ten or more people in an apartment).
  5. Open containers and consumption of alcohol is not allowed in any public areas of the apartment buildings or outside the buildings.
  6. Mulit-quart containers (kegs and "party balls") are not allowed in the apartment buildings; this includes possession by people 21 years and older.
  7. According to state law, residents may not charge guests for alcohol in any way (i.e., donations may not be accepted).

Minimum sanctions for alcohol violations:

Following are the minimum sanctions for violations of any of the above policies. Depending on the specific circumstances, sanctions could be much more severe. For instance, a serious first offense may result in immediate eviction. Furthermore, parents may be notified if the situation warrants it. (Note: disciplinary probation history can be a factor in selection for special programs such as study abroad.)

  1. 1st Offense = 12 months disciplinary probation.
  2. 2nd Offense = $50 fine and one year deferred suspension (ineligible to reside in MCAD Housing the following academic year).
  3. 3rd Offense = immediate eviction from MCAD Housing and indefinite suspension (ineligible to reside in MCAD Housing at any time in the future). Resident will not receive a refund of the housing deposit nor the remaining housing fee for that semester. Serious, on-going violations may also result in expulsion from the College.

Apartment Inspections

The College will check the physical condition of a resident's apartment only at the semester breaks or if there is a report by Facilities, other College personnel or a student that the apartment is in such poor condition as to not be conducive to doing maintenance work or to be occupied as living quarters. After inspection of the apartment by the RA or other staff, the resident will be required to have the apartment returned to good condition by an arranged date. Failure to upgrade the apartment will result in a fine to the resident. Failure to maintain an apartment in good condition is grounds for eviction from or denial of readmission to on-campus housing.

Apartment smoke detectors and toilets are checked on a monthly basis by Resident Assistants.

Building Meetings

The Resident Assistants hold regular building meetings, some of which are mandatory. Your RA will post notices for a mandatory meeting prior to the meeting. If you are unable to attend the meeting, it is your responsibility to contact your RA prior to the meeting to set up an appointment to meet with them at another time. Failure to do so will result in a fine of at least $10.

Candles/Open Flame Policy

Candles, incense and incense burners, hookahs, oil lamps and other items that produce open flame are not permitted in MCAD housing. Cigarettes and cigars may be brought into MCAD housing as long as they are not smoked inside.

Resident Food Plan

MCAD recognizes the importance of healthy eating and easy access to food for academic success for students. While MCAD’s residential apartments provide fully equipped kitchens, MCAD also has an on-campus cafe serving breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks on weekdays during the academic year. To promote healthy eating habits, resident students are required to purchase a $600 per semester declining balance food plan to be used in the MCAD Cafe. The plan will be charged each semester along with tuition and MCAD apartment rent. Student’s may choose to add additional funds to the minimum plan.

Gender Policy

Minneapolis College of Art and Design strives to provide safe living spaces for all students and to be inclusive of all genders, gender identities and gender expressions.

While all MCAD residence buildings are mixed-gender, it is the College’s standard procedure to provide students with same sex housing assignments within each apartment. The College recognizes, however, the need to consider requests for exceptions to this procedure to accommodate gender-diverse students.

Students have the opportunity to disclose their gender identity on their housing application; those who identify as genderdiverse may indicate their preference of the gender of their roommates. All disclosed information is kept confidential except for those who need such information for housing assignments.

Students may request specific individuals as roommates. Gender-diverse students who do not specify roommates will be assigned with students who identify as a GLBTQ ally.


Only students who have a contract with the College are allowed to occupy the apartments. Residents may have guests for a maximum of five days, but must always clear guest stays with their roommates in advance. Residents may not have overnight guests more than twice a year. Guests should not be in the apartment when the host resident is not home.

If residents allow an apartment to be occupied by someone who does not have a housing contract with the College, they will be charged for the time that person has stayed in the apartment and will be subject to College disciplinary procedures, including eviction.

Residents are held responsible for the behavior of their guests at all times and will be subject to fines and disciplinary procedures, if necessary, due to the behavior of their guests. It is expected that overnight guests be of an age where they can exit the residence hall in case of an emergency without the need of supervision (such as fire alarm evacuation).

Minors in MCAD Housing

No person under the age of 13 is permitted to enter any MCAD residence hall without their parent or legal guardian present. People between the ages of 13-17 years may visit an MCAD student in MCAD Housing as long as written permission has been granted from the minor's parent or legal guardian. When a person in this age group visits, they must be accompanied by their MCAD student host at all times while they are on campus. No one 16 years of age or younger is permitted to stay in MCAD Housing overnight.


Your student I.D. card functions as the key to your building door. You are issued keys to your apartment door and your mailbox lock at the time you move in. These keys are the property of the College and must not be duplicated or loaned out to any person. If keys are lost or duplicated, the apartment door lock will be re-cored and new keys issued at a cost to the resident of $50 for the apartment key and $15 for the mailbox key. There is also a $65 charge for failure to turn in keys at the time of move-out. Residents who repeatedly request assistance due to locking themselves out of their apartment may be charged.


Coin-operated washers and dryers are located in the basement of each building. Housing receives a percentage of the money collected from these machines; that money is available for building activities. Contact your RA if a machine is not working properly or if you lose money in your building's machines.


After moving in, post your name on your mailbox in the entryway of the apartment building. (Do not mark directly on your mailbox in permanent marker or paint - you will be charged for its removal.) If your name is not on the box, your mail might not be delivered. Keep your mailbox locked. A mail carrier is not required to leave mail in an unlocked box. If there is a problem with your mailbox lock or your mail service, contact the Housing Office. Please have all your mail (including packages) delivered to your residence. Residents may not use the MCAD mailroom for package delivery. Parcel lockers are in the laundry rooms of most of the apartment buildings. Only packages sent by US mail will be delivered to the parcel lockers; a key to the locker will be left in your mailbox by the mail carrier when there is a package for you in the locker. The parcel lockers are approximately 19"W x 24"H x 31"D.

Tampering with mail not addressed to you is a federal offense and is cause for immediate removal from MCAD Housing.


You are responsible for keeping your apartment clean and reporting any necessary repairs. When your apartment needs maintenance, call the Housing Office (x1780) to report it. Under normal circumstances, the Facilities maintenance crew is able to respond within 24 hours. They will leave a note in your apartment indicating that the problem has been corrected or, if not, why and when you can expect it to be corrected. If Facilities has not responded in 24 hours, notify the Housing Office. If you have a maintenance emergency when the Housing Office is closed, contact an RA or Public Safety.

A few maintenance tips:

  1. The RAs have fuses and light bulbs if you need them.
  2. Do not use more than 60 watt bulbs in any light fixtures (light fixtures with halogen bulbs are prohibited).
  3. The RAs have plungers for your use in the event a drain or toilet becomes clogged; you should use these before calling for maintenance - if your RA is not available call the other RAs. Do not use any chemical drain cleaner.
  4. Never use anything sharp to loosen ice when you are defrosting the refrigerator.
  5. If your apartment is not warm enough, make sure there is nothing blocking the heating units. When you leave your apartment for a few days or more, make sure your thermostat is set no lower than 65 degrees so that pipes don't freeze in a cold snap - you will be held liable for all damages that occur as a result of pipes that freeze/burst due to your setting your thermostat below 65 degrees.
  6. Do not use deadbolts as door stops - this stresses the hardware and can break the lock.

Moving Out

The term of your Housing Contract with the College is for one academic year. You may move out between semesters with no obligation for Spring semester rent only if you notify the Housing Office in writing by October 31 of your intent to vacate. Those who move out between semesters must vacate their apartment by January 2. If you move out at any other time during the academic year, or if you give insufficient notice before the semester break, you will be held responsible for the housing fee unless a replacement is found who meets the requirements to live in on-campus housing. (See the "Terms of Occupancy and Cancellation" section.) Refund of your deposit will be provided only if all the terms of the contract have been honored.

When you move out you must do the following:

  1. Contact your RA well in advance to make an appointment to check out before the move-out deadline.
  2. Give your forwarding address to the Post Office, the Housing Office and the Records Office.
  3. Thoroughly clean the apartment, including (but not limited to) oven, stove top, refrigerator, kitchen cupboards, floors and bathroom, and defrost the freezer.
  4. Remove your name from the mailbox.
  5. Keep your appointment to check out with the RA and turn in your keys. A missed appointment will result in a $50 fine.

The RA will inventory the apartment for damage and cleanliness. You will be charged for: damage, missing items, failure to remove personal items, cleaning of the apartment or its contents (if necessary), unreturned keys ($65), and failure to keep your appointment with the RA to check out ($100). Please understand that anything beyond minor damage may affect your privilege to return to MCAD Housing.

You must turn in a summer housing application in advance if you wish to stay on-campus past the spring move-out deadline. You will be required to move to your summer apartment by move-out day. If you stay past the move-out deadline you will be fined $100, plus $25 per day - no exceptions.

Noise and Quiet Hours

Noise from stereos, televisions and talking should be kept at reasonable levels at all times. Designated quiet hours begin at 11:00pm Sunday through Thursday, and at 1:00am Friday and Saturday nights. After those times there should be no audible noise either inside or outside the buildings. If you feel that a resident is making too much noise, contact that person to let him or her know what the problem is. If that doesn't work, contact your RA for assistance. Minimum fines of $10 or other disciplinary procedures will be imposed for persistent problems with noise.

Playing drums or amplified musical instruments either inside or outside the apartment buildings is not allowed.

Nuisance Phone Calls

If you receive an annoying or obscene phone call, hang up immediately. Do not engage the caller in conversation. If you receive repeat nuisance phone calls, notify the Housing Office. If necessary, a trace will be placed on the line to attempt to determine who the caller is.

Off-Campus Housing:

For information on available rentals in the neighborhood, see MCAD's website for sources of listings:

Tenant-Landlord Relations

Resources are available should you need assistance in relations with your landlord.


The College does not have sufficient parking space to accommodate both on-campus and commuter students. Therefore, MCAD does not provide on-campus parking for students who live in campus housing.


If you want to have a party in your apartment, you must fill out a Party Request form, available from your RA. Since a party is defined as ten or more persons in an apartment, at no time may you have more than nine persons in your apartment without an approved Party Request form. Party Request forms must be filled out and turned in to your RA at least two days before the party. Your RA or the Housing Office will notify you if your request to have a party has been turned down. Please plan well ahead and get your party permit approved before you make your invitations!

Party hosts and guests must comply with all the requirements contained in the Party Request forms. Building quiet hours must be observed, parties must not go out into hallways, and an RA must be present in the building during any party. No alcohol may be present in a situation which is by definition a party (ten or more people in an apartment).

Excessive noise levels and damage to any building property will not be tolerated. The RAs are required to interrupt any party that is disruptive to campus residents or neighbors. If necessary, Public Safety will be called. The residents hosting the party are held responsible for the behavior of all guests and any damage they may cause.


Animals (including fish) are not permitted in campus housing. Residents having a pet will be fined $50 and will be required to remove the pet from their apartment. If the pet is not removed within 48 hours, the resident will be charged an additional $50. Failure to remove the pet after the second notice will result in eviction of the resident and forfeiture of housing fee.

Animals that meet the ADA definition of service animals (i.e., one that accompanies the person at all times and is specifically trained to assist the individual with a disability)are permitted. Emotional support animals are not considered pets and are permitted with proper advanced approval.

Property Insurance

MCAD strongly recommends that all students staying in on-campus housing have personal property insurance. The College is not responsible for damage to or theft of personal items. Many insurance companies offer renters/property insurance at reasonable rates.

The Housing Office has some information about property insurance policies. Parents with homeowner's insurance may be able to obtain a rider on their policy that will cover your belongings.


There is a blue recycling container in each apartment for recycling commingled itemspaper, cans, bottles, and plastic bottles (only plastic bottles with necks and screw caps are recyclable). Please rinse your food containers well. Please do not try to recycle pressboard, tagboard, contaminated or wax-coated cardboard. Paper products with food contamination (such as pizza boxes) cannot be recycled. Look for signs posted in your building for information on where to empty your recycling bins. Please pitch in for the recycling effort!

Rent Credit

All College property is tax-exempt. Therefore, the State Homestead Rent Credit Program does not apply to the MCAD apartment buildings.

Room Decorating

Residents are encouraged to personalize their rooms, but must follow some basic guidelines:

  1. For hanging items on walls or ceilings, use only removable stick-on hangers (approved type sold in the Art Cellar). Push pins are also permitted. No screws or nails or holes are permitted. You will be charged for holes and damage to walls, ceilings and woodwork. Please report damage to walls and ceilings immediately to the Housing Office.
  2. Any room dividers, lofts or other additions to the apartments must be free-standing and cause no damage to the apartment.
  3. College-provided furnishings must remain in the rooms.
  4. Painting may be done only by College staff.
  5. Murals or any marks applied directly to walls or in a manner that causes a need for repainting or repair are prohibited and will result in a $200 fine.

Signing Up Again

Housing applications for the next school year will be available in early spring. MCAD Housing can accommodate approximately 260 students. Unfortunately, there may not be enough on-campus housing for everyone who wants it. If demand for on-campus housing significantly exceeds availability, the College will utilize a lottery system to determine which students will be guaranteed fall housing. The lottery works via a "randomizer" software program that assigns a random number to each applicant's name.

The following categories of students receive priority for on-campus housing if their housing application is received by the due date*:

  • New incoming undergraduate students
  • International undergraduate students (F-1 or J-1 visa holders)
  • International MFA & Post-Baccalaureate students
  • Current lower-level undergraduate students (defined as students with 44 or fewer completed credits as of April 1)

The following categories of students are eligible to enter the housing lottery if their housing application is received by the due date*:

  • Current upper-level undergraduate students (defined as students with 45 or more completed credits as of April 1)

The following categories of students will be placed on the wait list:

  • Students whose housing application is received after the due date*
  • Current upper-level students who do not receive a spot via the lottery process

The following categories of students are not eligible for on-campus housing, except on a space-available basis:

  • MFA students (except international MFA students)
  • Post-Baccalaureate students (except international P.B. students)
  • non-MCAD student spouses

*The housing application (and $350 housing deposit, if not already on file) due dates for the fall semester are: April 9 for returning students; May 1 for new incoming students. The application due date for the spring semester is November 1.

The system for specific placement in housing is as follows:

  1. Accepting students to housing via the process outlined above - the Housing Office accepts students for the available housing "spaces" (a "space" in housing is defined as the right to live in the on-campus apartments - a "space" does not signify a specific apartment).
  2. Assigning students to specific apartments.

Once it is determined who will receive a housing "space", those receiving a space are assigned to specific apartments. Priority for specific apartment requests is based on the number of semesters a student has lived in campus housing (summer is also considered a semester). Students who have lived on campus longest have first choice. Final decisions are at the discretion of the Housing Office. The date the Housing Office receives the student's application and deposit may also influence the chance that the student receives his or her first choice for a specific apartment on campus.

Students who do not receive a housing "space" will be placed on a waiting list. Priority on the waiting list is based on factors which may include the distance the student's permanent address is from MCAD, international status, date of completion of admissions requirements, date housing application and housing deposit are received, and new/returning status.


All MCAD dorms are entirely smoke-free. Please smoke outside, at least 20 feet from buildings, and make use of the cigarette ashtrays/butt receptacles.


Please do not under any circumstances feed the squirrels on campus. Squirrels have done extensive damage to dorm windows and screens due to feedings by residents. Squirrels who are fed will eventually enter the apartment.


MCAD Housing has limited storage space in buildings 150 and 2550 available during the summer only. This storage space is available to current residents who are leaving town for the summer. Belongings left in summer storage must be removed no later than the end of the first week of classes in the fall. No flammables may be placed in storage and there is no room for large items or for furniture.

Storage spaces are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. Watch for email notice about when to sign up in April. Most storage spaces will be shared. Storage spaces must be padlocked. The storage space must be clearly marked with the student's name, phone number(s) and the expected date of removal from storage. Any items left in storage for more than one year (or 10 days beyond the dates specified on the Storage Request form) will be discarded. The College assumes no responsibility for items put in storage.

Summer Housing

Housing is available on campus during the summer in a limited number of buildings. You do not need to be enrolled in MCAD summer classes to live on campus during the summer. Information about summer housing is available from the Housing Office in early spring. If you live on campus during the Spring semester and want to live on campus for summer, you must notify the Housing Office by turning in a summer housing application in advance, if you wish to stay on-campus past the spring move-out deadline. You will be required to move to your summer apartment by the move-out deadline.

Telephone Service

Local telephone service is provided to each apartment. Long distance calls must be collect calls or must be charged to a calling card. Long distance Directory Assistance calls must also be charged to the student's calling card.

Because no college billing procedure is available for local Directory Assistance calls or for direct-dial long distance calls, if residents make these calls and charges are sent to MCAD, their student accounts will be charged for the amount of the bill, plus a $2 handling charge. Unless it is clear that a particular resident is responsible for a bill, all roommates will share the bill and each be charged the $2 handling charge. An excessive number of phone bills or excessively high phone bills for an apartment may result in additional charges and disconnection of phone services. If phone service is disconnected it will be reconnected only when the disconnect and reconnect charges have been paid by the resident or residents.


There are dumpsters located just south of the 144 building, in the 2540 parking lot, and on the south side of the Main College Building (across the parking lot from 2537 Stevens Avenue). Please empty your garbage often. Garbage accumulation encourages cockroaches and rodents.

Fire code requires that halls and stairwells stay completely clear of trash and personal belongings. If there are problems with trash accumulation inside or outside the buildings, the residents responsible will be fined a minimum of $10.

Windows and Screens

Because of damage that may result to windows and frames, removing screens from windows or for using windows as entries to apartments results in a minimum $25 fine in addition to any necessary repairs to screens or frames. For everyone's safety, it is important that windows be kept latched when you are not at home. Please check with your RA to make sure you understand how your window latches operate. Ground floor window security screens are only to be opened for emergency egress from the building.

Work Space

Much of the work that you need to do for classes or projects can be done in your apartment, but do use caution. Residents will be charged for all damage caused to their apartments or to the buildings because of careless work. Common spaces such as the hallways and laundry rooms are not to be used for work areas. Because fumes create a toxic environment for residents, no materials that create fumes (i.e., oil paints, turpentine, etc.) may be used in the MCAD housing buildings. Spray painting and spraying fixative or spray mount must be done in the spray booth in the 3D Shop (do not spray outside overspray lands on the buildings and sidewalks). Don't cut objects on the floors or on the drawing tables without a lot of protection underneath. Ovens and stove tops may not be used for art-related activities.

Group Living

In a group living situation such as the one here at MCAD, guidelines are drawn to protect the rights of all residents and to create a positive environment for as many as possible. Living on campus is a privilege of being a student at MCAD and is meant to enhance your education here. When problems arise as a result of the combination of different personalities, life-styles and study habits in one space, it will help to talk it out with other residents involved. Your Resident Assistant is there to help if the channels of communication break down.


Sometimes college roommates hit it off right from the start and things go without a hitch for several years. More often, there are at least minor problems and irritations. The basic rule for campus living is that roommates do not have to be friends to live together successfully. All roommates do have to respect individual differences.

When you first meet each other as roommates, take the time to get to know each other. Start with the basics: where you are from, who your family is, where you went to high school and why you came to MCAD. Then talk about your personal preferences regarding neatness, study habits, sleeping in, talking on the phone, having guests and what you like to do in your spare time. Talk about what things get you down and what cheers you up; how you like to socialize; how you feel about drinking and drugs; what your religious values are; what you'd like your relationship as roommates to be. Then set some house rules, recognizing up front what areas you will have to compromise on. Some of the biggest roommate conflicts start because dishes don't get done or floors vacuumed or sinks scrubbed. Write down your house rules and change them if you need to during the year.

Harmonious living is possible! If you are not getting along with your roommate, talk with them about it in a non-judgmental way. Use phrases such as: "When this happens, I feel..." rather than being accusatory. Focus on the things he or she does that bother you, not on personality differences. Try to work out a compromise that is acceptable for both of you. Setting reasonable limits, for example, on stereo use or volume, the length of a shower or time spent on the telephone may help. Some of you may want to work out an agreement about switching bedrooms at the semester break or another time. If you'll be more comfortable, ask your RA to help you out.

Roommate changes will be made only as a last resort and only after a concerted effort has been made by the roommates to negotiate some boundaries for living together successfully. When room changes are made, they are generally made at the semester break. Feel free to contact your RA or the Housing Director if you're having roommate problems. They will do everything possible to help you get along.

Residents of on-campus housing have reason to expect the following:

  1. The ability to read and study in one's room, free from undue interference.
  2. The ability to sleep without undue disturbance from a roommate or guests of a roommate.
  3. Respect from a roommate for one's personal belongings.
  4. A clean environment in which to live.
  5. Free access to one's apartment and its facilities without pressure from a roommate.
  6. Personal privacy.
  7. The ability to entertain guests for a reasonable period of time as long as the guests respect the host's roommate and other building residents.
  8. Reasonable cooperation in the use of the telephone and other apartment furnishings.
  9. Freedom from fear of intimidation, physical and/or emotional harm.
  10. Access to redress of grievances. Resident Assistants and the Housing Director are available for assistance in settling conflicts.


Safety and Security Procedures

Building Safety

You are responsible for your own and your neighbor's comfort and security. Building doors must be kept closed and locked. Do not admit people you don't know to the building. If you develop the habit of locking your apartment door at all times (use the deadbolt!) and locking your windows at least when you are not at home it will enhance your own security and make burglary less likely for everyone. Report any problems with door or window locks to the Housing Office immediately. Please check with your RA to make sure you are using your window locks properly. Ground floor window security screens are only to be opened for emergency egress from the building.

The College is not responsible for damage to or theft of personal items. Many insurance companies offer renters/property insurance at reasonable rates. Parents with homeowner's insurance may be able to obtain a rider on their policy that will cover your belongings. We strongly recommend that you have insurance coverage for your property.

Each apartment is equipped with a smoke detector. Apartments with gas stoves have a combination smoke detector/CO detector. Do not disconnect the detectors! (Keeping the apartment ventilated when you're cooking will help keep it from going off.) If you have recurring problems with your detector, contact the Housing Office. If you use a fire extinguisher, you must notify Public Safety and the Housing Office so we can have it recharged.

The following activities are subject to a minimum $25 fine:

  1. Propping open an outside security door and leaving it unattended.
  2. Discharging a fire extinguisher unnecessarily.
  3. Setting off a fire alarm unnecessarily.
  4. Going up on the roof of any building.
  5. Disconnecting a smoke detector.
  6. Smoking in any building.


Any time there is an emergency of any kind, call 911 immediately, then MCAD Public Safety at 612-874-3555. Public Safety Officers can provide immediate help and will direct emergency vehicles to the right place. If you're not sure whether a situation is an emergency, contact an RA or Public Safety immediately.

If you see a fire:

  1. Pull the fire alarm in the hallway.
  2. Leave the building.
  3. Call 911 from the nearest available phone.
  4. Call 612-874-3555 to inform MCAD Public Safety.

If you hear a fire alarm:

  1. Exit through the nearest available outside door. If the nearest stairway is smoky or the fire door is hot, use the other stairway.
  2. Go to the central mall area until an all-clear signal is given.

In event of a tornado:

  1. When you hear the emergency warning siren, go to the basement (ground floor) hallway.
  2. Stay there until an all-clear signal is given.
  3. Stay away from glass doors and windows.

If you are locked outside, go to the bottom level of the parking ramp or to the basement of the Morrison Building.

Fire-Safety Systems

All resident apartment buildings have smoke, heat and carbon monoxide detectors in the common areas that report to a central panel at the Public Safety Office. In addition, there are local sounding smoke detectors inside each apartment. Apartments with gas ranges have combination smoke detector/carbon monoxide detector units in the apartment.

Fire drills are conducted several times each year in the resident apartment buildings.

MCAD has an active Safety Committee that evaluates and recommends life safety improvements annually to the College administration.

Missing Persons Notification Policy

The Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 (HEA) requires that institutions of higher education that provide on-campus housing must develop a missing person notification policy. This policy informs students who live on campus that they have the option to identify an individual to be contacted by MCAD no later than 24 hours after the time that a student is deemed, or determined through investigation, to be missing.

Making a Report of a Missing Person

If someone has reason to believe a student who lives in on-campus student housing has been missing from campus for 24 hours, they should contact one of the following:

Brock Rasmussen, Associate Vice President of Facilities

Nate Lutz, Director of Housing

Student Option to Identify a Contact Person

A student who lives in on-campus residential housing has the right to identify a contact person or persons whom MCAD will notify within 24 hours of the determination that the student is missing, if the student has been determined missing by Public Safety, or the Minneapolis Police Department. This contact person is strictly for missing persons purposes. A person designated by the student as a general emergency contact person will not automatically be treated as the missing student contact. To protect confidentiality, general emergency contact information and missing student contact information must be kept separate, even if the student has registered the same person for both purposes. Because the HEA requires the information to be kept confidential, student’s contact information has greater privacy protections than the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) provides.

The Housing office is responsible for maintaining the contact record information for students living on-campus. The contact information can be accessed only by authorized campus officials. Those official can disclose the contact information only to law enforcement officials and only for the purpose of a missing student investigation.

Determination That a Student is Missing

The official determination that a student is missing can be made at any time by the Department of Public Safety, or by the Minneapolis Police Department. Depending on the circumstances, a determination may be made in fewer than 24 hours that a student is missing. Once the determination is made that a student is missing, MCAD must notify the contact person. Identified by the student.

Notification of Minneapolis Police Department

Once a determination has been made that a student living in on-campus student housing is missing, MCAD will notify the City of Minneapolis Police Department of the situation within 24 hours, regardless of whether the student has identified a contact person. The only exception is when the Minneapolis Police Department was the law enforcement agency that made the determination.

Students Under 18 Years of Age

If it has been determined that a student under the age of 18 and not emancipated has been missing for 24 hours, MCAD will notify both the student’s custodial parent or registered guardian and the student’s contact person (if the student has registered a contact person) that the student is missing.

Neighborhood Safety

MCAD is located in a central urban neighborhood that has a high crime rate. We are fortunate to have a 24-hour security force on campus and a strong neighborhood organization that works hard at reducing crime in the area.

Some basic guidelines to follow to increase your safety while you're here:

  1. Report any suspicious activity or people to Public Safety immediately.
  2. Walk with a friend whenever possible and avoid walking in the neighborhood after dark.
  3. Always lock your car doors when driving or when your car is parked.
  4. Contact Public Safety for an escort when walking on campus, especially after dark.


Rights, Regulations and Sanctions

While affirming the individual's freedoms and rights, MCAD recognizes that certain basic behavioral guidelines must be followed in order for individuals to live together successfully. When there are behavior problems in a building, the Resident Assistant will file an incident report that is submitted to the Housing Office. Residents will be notified if an incident report has been filed for them and will be given a copy of the report if desired.

Residents with grievances should contact their Resident Assistant, the Housing Director or the Vice President of Student Affairs. Residents may seek redress with the Student Appeals Review Board by contacting the Vice President of Student Affairs. Residents are held responsible for and are subject to sanctions for their own behavior and that of their guests.

Sanctions for behavioral problems will follow one or more of the following guidelines:

  1. Fines as established and explained in this handbook.
  2. Charge to cover loss or damage.
  3. Written warning to offending resident.
  4. Disciplinary probation.
  5. Removal from College housing and/or denial of readmission to College housing.
  6. Referral to counselor or to civil authorities.

In addition to the above sanctions, the following are cause for immediate removal from College housing:

  1. Possession of real or imitation weapons, firearms or explosives (including BB and paintball guns).
  2. Threatening behavior to any student or staff person.
  3. Vandalism.
  4. Possession, use or sale of illegal drugs, which is a violation of federal, state and local laws.
  5. Theft of or intentional damage to other student or College property.
  6. Violation of the College alcohol policy.
  7. Disorderly, illegal, immoral or other improper conduct.
  8. Assault (including sexual assault).
  9. Sexual harassment of any student or staff member.
  10. Expulsion or dismissal from the College.
  11. Failure to remove unauthorized pet after second notice.
  12. Tampering with mail addressed to another person.

Please see the alcohol policy section in this handbook regarding sanctions for alcohol policy violations.

Charges and Fines

The following is a partial list of Housing fines and damage and cleaning charges:

  • Failure to check out $100
  • Missing check out appointment $50
  • Unnecessary use of fire extinguisher $50
  • Breaking fire extinguisher glass $25
  • Disconnecting smoke detector $25
  • Entering/exiting through window or removal of screen $25 min.
  • Lost apartment key $50
  • Lost mailbox key $15
  • Candle or open flame $25
  • Failure to turn in keys at checkout $65
  • Painting/marking mailbox $25 min.
  • Problems with trash removal $10 min.
  • Unauthorized pets $50 min.
  • Failure to vacate by move-out date $100 (plus $25/day)
  • Excessive noise $10 min.
  • Murals/painting on wall $200
  • Propping outside door $25
  • Using deadbolt as a doorstop $10
  • Unnecessarily setting off fire alarm $25
  • Going up on roof of building $25
  • Damage to carpet, upholstery, etc... $10/hole min.
  • Cleaning of apartment $10 min. ($7.50/hour)
  • Items left in storage $100

Residents who damage carpet, walls or furnishings will be charged the replacement or repair cost plus 10% to cover time spent handling replacement orders, etc...

Freedom from Unwarranted Search

The Minneapolis College of Art and Design assures the students' right to privacy. The College and its officials abide by the following procedure pursuant to entering College property contracted for by students with the understanding that this procedure in no way limits bona fide law enforcement officials from lawful search.

The College, by its officials and agents, shall have the right to enter apartments in cases which include the following:

  1. Show the apartments to parties wishing to rent.
  2. Need of physical repairs or improvements of the premises or elsewhere in the building.
  3. Need of medical attention.
  4. Where there is reasonable cause to believe that local, state or federal laws or College regulations are being violated.
  5. At semester break to plan for needed repairs and in spring to assess for summer projects and furnishing replacements.
  6. Monthly check by RA of smoke detectors and toilets.

When entry is sought to make improvements or repairs, notice will be given in advance to the occupant(s) if possible. If this is not possible, the authorized repair person will knock before entering to inform the resident(s) of his or her arrival. In emergency circumstances when imminent danger to life, safety, health or property is reasonably feared, rooms will be entered without advance notice or warrant. If students believe their apartment has been unlawfully entered, they may seek redress before the Student Appeals Review Board.