MCAD Commencement Ceremony Information.
MCAD holds two formal Commencement Ceremonies each year. [Note: Due to precautions set in place as a result of COVID-19, commencement ceremony activities will be conducted online.] One in December for fall graduates, and another in May for spring graduates. The fall ceremony is held for Undergraduate BFA / BS students. The spring ceremony is for Undergraduate BFA / BS students and also MFA / MASD / MAGWD students.
Specific dates are published on MCAD's Academic Calendar online here: Academic Calendar.
A town hall meeting for all students participating in the Spring 2021 commencement ceremony was held on Thursday, February 25. A video recording of the Thursday, February 25 meeting is available here: https://vimeo.com/516849703
Additional Info: Commencement Meeting Q+A PDF (2/25)
A second town hall meeting for all students participating in the Spring 2021 commencement ceremony was held on Wednesday, March 24. A video recording of the Wednesday, March 24 meeting is available here: https://vimeo.com/528863654
Additional Info: Chat Text from meeting, unedited - PDF (3/24)
Spring 2021 Commencement Information
The spring commencement ceremony will take place virtually on May 15, 2021 online. The ceremony will mark the completion and recognition of graduating students who have successfully completed their degrees.
The commencement ceremony can be viewed online during the time of the event at the following link (Note: link will not be active until the time of the event.): https://mcad.edu/live
2021 MCAD Spring Commencement Ceremony (online)
This reimagined commencement ceremony will include many elements of our formal ceremony along with new features that online hosting provides. The Commencement Ceremony will take place online on Saturday, May 15.
Commencement Ceremony Assets Submission Deadline is Monday, March 29, 11:59pm.
Submit assets here: Commencement Ceremony 2021 via Submittable
2021 MCAD Spring Commencement Exhibition (online)
This virtual Commencement Exhibition will be hosted on a stand-alone web platform that will feature the best work created by our Spring 2021 graduating BFA/BS and MA students. This work is of the students’ own choosing and is not necessarily work completed for senior projects. It can include work in progress. It will be shared with the MCAD community and available to the public before the virtual Spring 2021 Commencement on Saturday, May 15.
Commencement Online Exhibition Submission Deadline is Friday, April 23, 11:59pm.
Submit assets here: Commencement Online Exhibition via Submittable
2021 MCAD Spring Commencement Catalog (print)
This print publication will include work made by our Spring 2021 graduates and can include documentation of artwork finished at the end of the Spring 2021 semester, as part of a senior project seminar and MA or MFA thesis. The student can choose to highlight the same work that appeared in the virtual 2021 MCAD Commencement Exhibition.
Commencement Catalog Publication Submission Deadline is Friday, May 7, 11:59pm.
Submit assets here: Commencement Catalog Publication via Submittable
- Submittable / Assets Submissions Links (Commencement Ceremony, the Commencement Exhibition, and the Commencement Catalog): https://mcad.submittable.com/submit
- 2021 MCAD Spring Commencement Exhibition and Catalog info sheet: https://docs.google.com/document/d/14NiKSrclM9f4fa2Cw-8AYeGWrm_LNsMR7n0UODmEmjE/edit?usp=sharing
- Student Speaker Nomination Form: MCAD BFA/BS Student Speaker Nomination Form
Additional Information for All Graduates
Exit Survey and Outcome Survey
- All graduates must complete the online Exit Survey in order to receive their diploma.
- Instructions on how to complete the Exit Survey will be emailed to students sometime mid Spring semester.
- All graduates will receive an Outcome Survey via email following graduation.
Van Derlip Awards
- The Van Derlip awards for MA students who graduated Summer and Fall 2020 as well as MFA and undergraduate students who will be graduating in Spring 2021 will be announced at the Spring 2021 Commencement Ceremony.
- Six $2500 awards will be awarded during the Fall Commencement Ceremony. One each for the following: Design, Fine Arts, Media Arts, BS, MA, and MFA.
- Any MA students who graduated Summer and Fall 2020 as well as any MFA and undergraduate students who will be graduating in Spring 2021 should watch their email for instructions on how to apply to be considered for the Van Derlip awards.
- Keep your contact info up-to-date with the Career Development office.
- Register as an Alumni on Handshake.
- MCAD Career Development services are available to Alumni for life.
- Guidance involving job search strategies and networking advice.
- Professional correspondence assistance including resume and cover letter development.
- One on one appointments available.
- Contact email@example.com with any questions.
Alumni Relations and Art Sale
Be sure to provide a non-MCAD email when completing the Exit Survey, and also register for the online alumni directory at mcad.edu/alumni-directory. This will ensure that you will receive notices for Art Sale registration and future Alumni events. After you graduate, you can always reach the Alumni Relations office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
MCAD Email and Student Server Accounts
- Students graduating in May of 2021 will keep their email accounts until May of 2022.
- Students graduating in May of 2021 will have their access to MCAD services such as class servers, WiFi, and Adobe Creative Cloud software disabled 21 days from the date of graduation.
- Students that graduated in December of 2020 will have their email access disabled in December of 2021.
Your patience in this unprecedented time is greatly appreciated. Please contact MCAD Student Affairs with any questions or concerns: email@example.com.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below you can find anwers to many common questions that students ask pertaining to MCAD commencement.
How are students notified about commencement?
- Students are notified by email about upcoming commencement planning and requirements.
- Also, there are informational commencement meetings held each semester for students who will be graduating in the upcoming ceremony. These meetings are mandatory for graduating students.
What should I wear?
- Students are welcome to wear whatever they'd like. Traditionally people dress up a bit.
- Undergraduate students do not wear caps and gowns.
- Graduate students wear caps and gowns provided by the college.
Are any MCAD resources available to students after graduation?
- Career Development office and Alumni Relations office services are available to MCAD graduates for life.
- Service Bureau printing services available for year follwing graduation by proposal only. (Note: papercut access ends at graduation. Payment for Alumni printing projects can be made throught the Alumni Relations office.)
- MCAD email remains active for one calendar year following the date of graduation.
- Student Software access is restricted to currently enrolled students.
- Students must complete the Exit Survey to receive their diploma.
- Diplomas are available for pick up in the Records office. (Note: all students participating in the Spring 2021 commencment ceremony will receive their diplomas by mail as a result of precautions set in place for the pandemic.)
- Fall graduates may pick up their diplomas around the first week of January. Spring graduates may pick up their diplomas about a week after spring graduation.
MASD, MAGWD, and MFA Graduates
- Graduate students will take part in the Spring commencement ceremony. (Note: There is no Fall commencement ceremony for graduate students. Graduate students who complete their degree in Fall will take part in the following Spring commencement ceremony.)
Further questions? Contact MCAD Student Affairs.