One of SEAC’s goals for MCAD is to continually work towards a greener, environmentally healthy campus. Facilities and Maintenance play an important role in keeping sustainability in mind when planning for and maintaining buildings on campus. Occupational Health and Safety also ensure campus practices are safe for us as well as the environment. MCAD's environmentally friendly PrintShop is a great example of this, along with campus wide renovations of LED and CFL replacement bulbs, HVAC upgrades, and energy efficient equipment replacements.
The results have an incredible impact on cost savings as well. Through the purchasing of energy efficient products and installing energy saving systems, sustainable initiatives have totaled an estimated $200,000 in savings over the last ten years. Below are a few of highlights of those efforts.
- 99% of all medium-based fixtures at MCAD are LED or compact florescent
- Third floor HID lamps retrofitted for high efficiency in 2010
- Occupancy and motion sensors installed in restrooms and stairwells
- Increased roof insulation to campus dormitories in 2010, 2011
- HVAC upgrade in 3D Shop in 2007