MCAD's wood shop, welding shop, foundry, spray booths and Rapid Prototype Equipment are located in the 3D Shop. The 3D Shop is open to the entire College community. Current Shop policy, guidelines and other pertinent information can be found below.
Courses conducted by MCAD faculty members in the 3D Shop introduce you to the equipment, tools, techniques and safe work practices associated with the area. Shop staff support and reinforce that instruction. They maintain the equipment, monitor users of the area to insure safe work procedures. Shop staff can also provide technical assistance in all aspects of fabrication, from stretcher building to welding and casting. When you enter the 3D Shop, you agree to comply with shop policies governing safety, equipment access, etc., and to follow the direction of 3D Shop staff.
3D Shop Summer Access Policy
The 3D Shop is open to BFA, BS, and MFA students currently enrolled in summer classes, with the exception of internships. Access is for work that applies directly to classes students are enrolled in. For other uses of the shop, students must submit a written proposal. Students who are pre-registered for fall classes may request access by submitting a proposal to the 3D shop director Don Myhre. This form is available on the 3D Shop's page.
New! Digital Checkout Policy
Stop in to see out new easier checkout system!
- A Student ID is required for tool checkout.
- No reservation is needed for tool checkout.
- Tools are checked out by shop staff for 24 hours and due back at the end of that time.
- Any late tools will be accessed a $5 per day fine until returned.
- Students are allowed a maximum of 3 tools checked out at a time.
- Tools may be renewed at shop staff's discretion. Please check in with shop staff to renew tools.
- Please check in with shop staff if tool is not working or damaged.