MASTERS IN SUSTAINABLE DESIGN
In 2004, Minneapolis College of Art and Design added a professional certificate program in Sustainable Design. This two year MA is one of few in the country, offering 17 different online courses integrating sustainable systems, ethics, and biomimicry. You can get up to date information on MASD news, events, and our renowned faculty at mcadsustainabledesign.com, as well as check out course offerings and application deadlines at MCAD's main site mcad.edu/sustainable.
PRESS and RECOGNITION
- Cindy Gilbert's interview with Designers Accord here!
- Curt McNamara's article on The Systems View and Your Bio Toolbox published in Zygote Quarterly.
- Joshua Foss of Thrive Design Studio
SHOP SPACES, LABS and CURRICULUM
Other academic departments take sustainability into their own hands as well. For example, our Print Shop is dedicated to promoting a healthy, safe and increasingly eco-friendly environment. The shop facilitates printing processes that have low or no vapor production, and implements systems that reduce waste and energy use.
Some of the sustainable initiatives and practices include:
- Reuse of copper etching plates, photo-litho plates, excess screen printing inks and newsprint
- Full recycling of paper blotters into pulp- done right on campus in our Paper Studio
- Rag service for cleaning to reduce paper towel usage
- Photo exposure unit for non-toxic Solarplate etching
- Copper plate etching with Ferric Chloride, a non-vapor producing etchant
- Water based ink products provided
- Practice of non-toxic cleaning methods
- Installation of switches for lighting and ventilation in 2009, so the 5000 square foot space saves energy when not in use.