- REQUESTS FOR ESA'S AFTER MOVE-IN MAY BE GRANTED FOR A FUTURE SEMESTER, NOT THE CURRENT ONE.
- AN ESA REQUEST DOES NOT EQUAL APPROVAL.
- BELOW IS MORE INFORMATION ABOUT ESA'S.
Persons with disabilities have a right to equal opportunity as prescribed by law. MCAD offers reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access for students who self-disclose a documented disability. MCAD complies with federal disability laws; including, Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Fair Housing Act. MCAD prohibits animals on campus; however, exceptions are made for Emotional Support Animals in the residential setting and for Service Animals for individuals with disabilities.
Emotional Support Animal (ESA)
- Per the Fair Housing Act (FHA), an emotional support animal is described as an animal that provides therapeutic support and companionship to its owner. An ESA (Emotional Support Animal) is NOT a Service Animal. Emotional support animals are not permitted the extensive range of campus afforded to service animals. With very limited exceptions (e.g. pet relief area, transport to a vehicle, etc.) emotional support animals must be kept in the approved resident’s room or apartment and must be fully under the resident’s control - on leash or in a cage/carrier - any time the animal is outside of the approved room. Emotional support animals are not permitted in academic buildings. This means that ESAs are allowed in a student’s residence and that ESAs are NOT allowed in any non-residential campus building, including the Main Building, Morrison, MFA studios, offices and administrative departments.
- Per Title III of the ADA, a service animal is any dog that is specifically trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability. The work or tasks performed by a service animal must be directly related to the individual’s disability. Individuals with service dogs are permitted to navigate public areas of the MCAD campus with their service animal, including the individual’s residential space.
ESA CONTRACT, POLICY, REQUIREMENTS, AND GUIDELINES ON CAMPUS
- ESA Requirements for Students who are Applying for an ESA Accommodation
- ESA Requirements for Returning Studnets With An Existing ESA Accommodation
- MCAD'S ESA Policy and Contract
- The purpose of this policy is to ensure the wellbeing of students and community members in regard to having emotional support animals on campus. Students interested in making a request for an ESA (Emotional Suppor Animal) must read this policy carefully.
INFORMATION FOR DOCUMENTATION LETTERS
- American Counseling Association Postion Statement on Emotional Support Animals and Counselors Writing Letters
- PLEASE READ AND GIVE TO YOUR COUNSELOR IF THEY ARE GOING TO WRITE A LETTER FOR YOU
ESA AND SERVICE ANIMAL RESOURCES
US Government Laws
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development document on Service Animals and Assistance Animals for People with Disabilities
U.S. Department of Justice Civil Rights Division ADA Requiremnts for Service Animals
U.S. Department of Justice Civil Rights Division Disability Rights Section Frequently Asked Questions about Service Animals and the ADA
Minneapolis Regulations and Guidelines
Cost of Caring for an Animal
Resources for Traveling with pets/ESA's and Service Animals
Keeping Dogs (and other animals) Safe in Cars
Pet Travel Crates: Choosing the Right Travel Crate for Your Pet
Animal Humane Society Boarding
TSA animal guidelines for Service Animals
Amtrak guidelines for pets/ESA's and Service Animals
Uber guidelines for pets/ESA's and Service Animals
Lyft guidelines for pets/ESA's and Service Animals
City taxi guidelines - Check with individual taxi companies - Service Dogs are allowed
Metrobus guidelines for pets/ESA's and Service Animals
Greyhound guidelines for pets/ESA's and Service Animals
Article on pet only taxis in the twin cities