Students who have graduated from MCAD lose access to certain MCAD provided services 21 days from the date of graduation. These services include but aren't limited to:
- Papercut (for the Service Bureau)
- WebCheckout (for the Media Center)
- Campus wireless network
- Lab computers
- Software licenses: the Adobe Creative Cloud suite, Microsoft Office suite, Form Z SE, and any other applications that have been activated using an @mcad.edu address or were preinstalled with the MCAD managed software build will be set to expire, and the applications will no longer be usable or legal to use.
- Most other non-email services.
Graduates continue to have access to their MCAD Google account ("firstname.lastname@example.org") for one year after their date of graduation. The accounts of May graduates are deactivated in May of the following year, and the accounts of December graduates are deactivated the following December. The MCAD Google account includes Gmail, Google Drive, YouTube, and all other Google services associated with an @mcad.edu address.
Continuing Education Students
The accounts of Continuing Education students are deactivated at the end of the term when they are last enrolled in classes.
Withdrawal or Expulsion
When a student withdraws or is expelled from school, their account and all associated services (including email) are immediately deactivated.
Leave of Absence
A student taking a leave of absence from MCAD can check with the Records department about the option of keeping their account active during their leave. Otherwise, their account will be deactivated upon their departure.
How to Save or Transfer Your Data
If you are graduating or otherwise leaving MCAD, you probably have data (such as emails and Google Docs) associated with your MCAD Google account that you'll want to save or transfer before your account is deactivated.
- Google Takeout is a useful solution that allows you to download a copy of all data associated with your account and/or transfer your data to a different Google account.
- If you do not yet have a primary personal email address, now is a good time to make one.
- Videos uploaded to the YouTube channel associated with your @mcad.edu account cannot be transferred automatically to a different account. To avoid losing your YouTube uploads, follow Google's instructions to download and reupload the videos manually.
Other Important Preparation
- In the year after your graduation but before your email account is deactivated, it may be a good idea to set up a vacation responder that automatically sends a reply to anyone who emails your MCAD address. You can customize the message to inform them that this is no longer your primary email address and direct them to contact you at your personal email address.
- You can also have messages received by your @mcad.edu address forwarded to another email address, but only while your @mcad.edu email account is still active. Deactivated accounts cannot continue to forward emails to another account, as they will no longer be able to receive emails at all. You'll need to make sure that you've given any important contacts your new email address.
- If you've signed up for other accounts or services (such as social media, online stores, banking portals, etc.) with your @mcad.edu email address, you will want to associate these services with a different email address before your account is deactivated.
- If you are the owner (creator) of shared Google Docs that others at MCAD will continue to need to access, make sure you transfer ownership of these files before your account is deactivated.
- After you've graduated, it's a good idea to stop by the Help Desk to have the MCAD software build removed from your computer and replaced with a clean operating system. This will help you save storage space and avoid software licensing issues—the remnants of (now inactive) MCAD software activations can interfere with your ability to license and use these programs on your own. The Help Desk welcomes walk-ins for graduates who would like to get off the MCAD build. Please make a full backup of your data beforehand.
Information for Faculty and Staff
Full time Faculty and Staff
All full time faculty and staff members lose access to their MCAD Login, MCAD Gmail, and all associated services on the date of their departure.
Adjunct Faculty lose access to their MCAD Gmail one year after their contract end date. Adjunct MCAD Logins and associated services will be disabled one week before the start of the next term. In order to maintain access to the MCAD login over the summer term, adjunct faculty must sign their fall contract before June 1st.