At the Service Bureau you can print large-format, photographic quality prints with archival inks on several different types of media including archival papers, all up to 44" wide.
You have the choice between a variety of papers, the most common being Matte or Semigloss to the rarer Silk Crepe or Japanese Paper. (Full list of available papers on the Order Form)
Files should be completely ready for printing. Include any borders or crop marks necessary in your file. Acceptable file formats include: TIFF, PDF and EPS, we will also accept properly packaged inDesign folders. If you need assistance with set up or conversion of files please speak with someone in the Service Bureau. We assume all files submitted are print ready.
- Set Up Suggestions
When setting up files for the banner printer, please consider the following:
- Image resolution: If you are going to print an image, whether alone or as part of a layout, we recommend that it be at least 150dpi or higher in resolution. Anything lower than 150dpi will begin to look bitmapped and chunky. If you have an image to print at a lower resolution, please discuss this when placing your order.
- Paper/media: Check the paper samples book at the Service Bureau counter to get an idea of how your image might look. If you have questions about the differences, please ask.
- Set Up Suggestions
Getting the files to the Service Bureau
- Email your files (packaged and compressed if appropriate) to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Upload your files to Google Drive, and share with email@example.com (make sure we have premission to edit/download)
- Transfer your files using the SB dropbox server
- From the Finder menu bar select Go > Connect to Server.
- The Connect to Server window appears:
- In the space designated for Server Address type: "SBDropBox.mcad.edu"
- Click "Connect" in the lower right corner of the window
- Connect to the SB Drop Box server using your MCAD login and password. Click the Connect Button.
- Select "SB Drop Box" from the list of server volumes. Click OK.
- The volume will now appear on the desktop.
- Open this server volume. A list of several folders is within. Drag and drop the FOLDER you wish to move the Service Bureau for printing into the Banner Print Drop Box.
Ordering your Banner Print
Download an order form, open with Adobe Acrobat, fill it out completely. If you have any questions please ask.
Fill in all fields completely, give us as much information as possible!
Banner print orders will be charged to your PaperCut account when they are completed. If your account doesn't have enough money, we will hold orders until we can complete payment! Please ask for a quote in your order form/email order if necessary.
- Test strips:
Schedule an appointment to see a test strip of your print. If it is convenient, you may wait for your test strip when you place your order. This will be indicated on your order form.
- After viewing your test strip, either approve it and sign your order form, or take the strip and adjust your file accordingly. Color adjustment and any other changes are your responsibility. When color adjusting files, any of the SB staff will gladly assist you. If the color accuracy is not important to you, you can sign your approval without seeing a proof. However, if you are not satisfied with the quality of your print, it will be your responsibility to pay for any reprints. Large format prints will not be completed unless you have signed-off on your order form.
- Please note that only one (1) test strip is included in the price of your print. Any additional testing and set-up time with the file may incur extra charges at a cost of $20/hour.
- Large Format prints are run Sunday through Friday and are turned around in up to 2 business days. WE DO NOT ACCEPT RUSH ORDERS.
- If you need more than 10 FEET or banner prints please plan on a minimum turnaround of 5 business days. As always, plan ahead, especially during finals.
If the above policies are adhered to and you are still not satisfied with the quality of your print, reprints will be done at the expense of the MCAD Service Bureau and/or a refund offered.