- Risograph is a cost-effective printing process which uses single colors to print designs from a master stencil
- Only one ink color can be loaded into the printer at a time, so each color needs to be in a separate layer or file in order to isolate it for printing
- It requires a day of drying time in between each color, so multi-color images will take multiple days to print
- The printer pulls each sheet of paper through the printer multiple times for multiple colors, so each print will come out with slightly different alignment, ink density, smudges, and imperfections (this is part of the charm and beauty of Risograph printing)
- The Risograph was built for large print runs, it really doesn't get its sea legs until it has printed 20-30 copies. The start of a print run will have denser ink, uneven coverage, and wonky alignment. Prints will even out and become more consistent after about 10 copies.
- We estimate that out of a print run of 10, you will get 3-5 "good" prints that have smooth coverage and good alignment (this can vary based off paper weight, color quantity, etc)
- Files for the Risograph need to be in greyscale, it will print with a full range of tones for the color selected. Imagine “redscale” or “yellowscale” or "bluescale", similar to how a b&w printer will print in greyscale with a full range of black tones
- Risograph inks are semi-transparent. Layer colors to mix and create new colors! (e.g. printing flourescent pink over yellow will yield a bright orange)
- The Risograph uses different printer settings to achieve various halftone dot/dither patterns from grayscale images: 43 lpi (large dot), 71 lpi (small dot), 106 lpi (tiny dot), photo grain, and line/solid - you can choose your preferred print settings for each layer, or "Printer's Choice" for our expert
Turnaround: 2 business days for one color + 1 business day for each additional color
Riso prints are run 9:00 am - 7:00 pm Monday - Thursday, and 9:00 am - 5:00 pm on Fridays. No riso printing on weekends.
There are no Rush options for the Risograph.
Order Minimum: 10 copies (5 copies can be negotiated for testing purposes)
Paper Size: 8.5x11 or 11x17 (see printable area in templates)
Paper Type: Uncoated or textured paper between 75gsm (20lb text) - 216gsm (80lb cover) weight. Heavier papers will yield more mis-registration, if closer alignment is important to you, choose a lighter weight paper.
Our medium weight 176gsm (65lb cover) paper tends to work the best for most projects in our experience!
File Types: We can print most file types with the Risograph!
File must be in greyscale to print accurately. We prefer layered files, packaged, with outlined type where appropriate.
Use one of our handy templates to help guide you!
Ink Colors: Yellow, Warm Red, Blue, Fluorescent Pink, Mint, Black, Kelly Green, Violet (see print samples in the SB)
Pricing: Depends on quantity, paper type, size, # of layers etc - please ask for a quote for your project prior to file submission. (Most print jobs fall in the $10 range for a set of 10 prints)
Finishing Option: Thermography!
This is a process that makes the riso ink puff up and creates a cool tactile surface. Think about raised letters on a fancy business card. This service costs $5 per application and can only be done with the final color printed and works best in limited amounts. Talk to us in advance if you're interested in thermography.
DOWNLOAD--> OUR HANDY BROCHURE <-- FOR ALL THE DETAILS, INCLUDING SETUP INFO.
(If you want photo-quality prints we recommend using the ImagePress color laser or Epson inkjet printers instead.)